Tuesday, November 25, 2008

How Well Do You Know Your Children?

Hi,

This is not a trick question but how well do you know your children?

Again, it all boils down to the amount of time you spend with them and how you observe their behaviour or character.

Let me share with you my own experiences to illustrate what I am trying to say with you.

When Jason was young, he got sick quite often and I think it was normal as he was growing up and being attacked by all the bacteria or virus. This is typical of any child in their growing years; running nose etc.....

So after visiting the doctors and always getting the same medication, we started to stock up the remaining bottle of medicine in the fridge after consulting the doctor.

1st incident :

One evening, the maid made some bird nest soup for us and we decided to give some to Jason. after all, this is expensive stuff and can only do good and not harm him thoguh he was maybe 3 or 4 years old then.

After taking some bird nest, Jason started to develop a running nose and watery eyes ( much later, we learned that this is a typical symptom of allergy for all of us ). I gave him some of the medicine that we had kept in the fridge but he started to breathe heavily and experienced some difficulty. ( BTW, the doctor told me that I did the right thing by giving him that medicine otherwise the situation could have been worse! )

We immediately took him to a 24 hours clinic. I was carrying him and could feel his heavy breathing though he was almost 'knocked out' or sleepy. When we finally saw the doctor, he told us that he is allegic to bird nest and it is very common among children. That was news to me!

There was an option of medicine ( recovery would be slow ) or an injection ( immediate recovery ) and Jason decided on the injection. It was only then I realised that he must have felt very uncomfortable. Apparently, the allergy has caused his throat or upper windpipe to swell and close the passage for breathing. On hindsight, I should have taken him to A&E instead as we waited for about 1/2 hour before we saw the doctor!

So what I am saying here is that if I have not be observant about Jason's condition and just let him go to bed for the night, I cannot imagine what could have been the outcome. He could have been choked and never wake up again..!

Remember your child may be too young to tell you what he feels and he may just go to sleep ...!


2nd incident :

After dinner, my maid gave Jason his usual dosage of multi-vitamins.

I received a call from the maid saying that Jason was complaining of being a bit choked and has something in his throat but he could still breath. He was a bit older then and could tell us his discomfort.

I rushed home from office and decided that Jason being a very tough boy that I know, he would not complain over something that was not bothering him. Thankfully, he could breath easily.

I took him to our family doctor and he could not find anything visible that could have caused any discomfort that Jason mentioned. But I insisted that there must be something otherwise Jason would not be telling us about it as I know he is a tough boy and can handle much pain or discomfort.

So the doctor tried to make him vomit or cough out whatever could be in his throat. Initially, nothing happened and just when we were to give up, Jason coughed out his vitamin tablet!

Apparently, Jason was suppose to have chewed the vitamin tablet which was a star shape but he somehow swallowed it instead.

In this case, knowing that Jason is a very tough boy and would not lie to us, I supported his complaint that he has something in his throat. Luckily, it was a vitamin tablet and I suppose it could have dissolved very slowly eventually but what if it was something else...?

So you must know your child well and not take their feedback or complaints lightly, especially when they are young.



No comments: