Monday, November 3, 2008

Jason's First Trip Overseas Without Us

Hi,

My wife & I just sent Jason off to New Zealand, early this morning at the Changi Airport.

While Jason has travelled overseas many times with us but this is the first time he is travelling on his own, though with a group of 9 other schoolmates and 2 of his teachers. This is a school study trip.

So what is the significant or big deal?

Well, he has to be on his own.

What do I mean?

For a start, I guided him in his packing of his luggage so that he knows what he is carrying and where to find all his clothings etc.....

In all the earlier travels with the family, I am the 'butler' and is responsible for all the packing etc...... He will just ask for what he needs and I get it for him from the luggage bag!

Well, there were some disagreements on what he should be wearing etc... but I gave in to him if it did not matter so much but I tried to talk some sense into him and I won most of the time. For eg., I am more concerned about the weather but he is more concerned on how he looks.....! I suggested that he takes his MP3 player with him to listen on the coach when they are on the road for an hour or so and he said no. This morning, he decided that he should be bring it along and we have to look for the charger last minute!

He will be responsible for his passport and the money given to him...etc as the teachers are not going to 'mother' him..!

Well, another major milestone for my teenage son in emerging into a responsible adult!

I have to trust that I have groomed him well all these years and that he is ready to fend for himself.

I was telling my wife that in my teenage days, my brother & I have to apply for our overseas study in Australia, went for the interview in Kuala Lumpur (KL), and flew on our own to Melbourne without any guidance from my parents as they were living and working in KL while we were studying and being cared for my our grandma and aunties in Penang.

My brother & I made it on our own but Jason has so much guidance from the family, so he is so much better off today.

Anyway, while we will miss him for a week but we will not worry too much for him.

We will have to learn to let him go .......

David

No comments: