Saturday, April 11, 2009

Our Dream And Our Kids Dreams

Hi,

I refer to the following article that appeared int Today papers on Wed 8 April 2009.



In short, what we want our kids to be may not be what they want to be...!

When Jason was young, he wanted to be a WWF wrestler, then EPL soccer player....

He even asked me the possibility of going to UK to pursue his soccer career....!

Lately, he wants to be a Teacher but in Mathematics and not in sports....surprisingly!

I am in the IT profession but I have never tried to get him interested in it and I am not disappointed at all too.

BTW, by sheer coincidence, I played soccer for my secondary school and my father also played soccer at club level. So we have 3 generations involved in soccer.

I also ran 400m and 4x400m relay for my secondary school and Jason happens to be doing the same now...! In fact, he was talent spotted when he came in first during last year cross-country race at Bedok reservoir as his school CCA is soccer.

When I was a Parent Volunteer at his Temasek Primary School and subsequently, a Lecturer in Temasek Polytechnic, Jason was very supportive and proud of what I am doing.

But I have never encouraged him to teach so it must be the respect and influence that he saw in his teachers.....?

So you can see that his ambition was greatly influenced by his environment and parents must also play a part to provide some guidance and help our kids to achieve his dream or ambition if it is a decent and achievable one.

Fortunately, my parents have never forced me to be someone that I would not want to be. Like them, I just want Jason to have a reasonable job that he likes and earn sufficient to support himself and his family.

I still remember a staff of mine telling me that she hates swimming as her parents forced her to train to be a champion swimmer at a very young age.

You could have also read of people handing over the degree certificate to their parents, upon graduation, and then went off to pursue their own ambition or dream job.

I hope you do not want to be that type of parent and make your kids resent you for the rest of their life.

Let your kids pursue their dreams as long as it is a decent one and it provide them 3 meals a day......

Happy Parenting....!

David

No comments: