Sunday, April 19, 2009

Letting Go Of Your kids



I just have lunch with a friend who is actively involved with counselling work.


We were talking about teenagers and the problems faced by them and parents.


He made a comment and that was to let them go and do their own thing with minimum supervision.


These teenagers would not appreciate what their parents are trying to advise or guide them, most of the time.






So it is very tough for parents to not try to guide and advise them but at the same time, we do not want to 'nag' them and drive them away from us.

It is tough to be 'perfect' or 'balanced' in letting them go......... sigh

I suppose we, parents, just have to make sure that we are not at the extremes; ie totally neglect our kids or nag them excessively.

I must admit that I too sometimes may have over done it a bit and 'nag' my son thinking that I am sharing with him some of my life experiences.

Importantly, we just have to decide on the maturity of our kids and decide when and what is appropriate to let them do on their own.

Happy parenting........

David



No comments: