Monday, September 28, 2009

Give Your Children Support In Their School Exams.

Hi,

It is that time of the year again but Jason is sitting for his 'O' level exams. in about a month's time.

It is well known that when the children are having exams., the parents also get stressed or even more stressed than their own kids......ha.....ha......

Yes, I have been through it but we must learned to let go eventually and just be there to support them...... by encouraging them and ensuring that they have enough rest too....

What do I mean?

Guide them to adopt a systematic approach to studying for their exams and not a last minute rush. Teach and help them to come out with a schedule for revision and eventually they should be able to do it themselves.

Encourage them to study wisely but also let them have some free time to rest their brains.....eg they should still exercise or watch TV, etc.....

Jason sometimes asked me to wake him up after 30 minutes of power nap but then when he could not wake up, I just let him sleep on as it seems like he needed the rest badly. He has overslept for more than an hour a few times.

I told him that I rather he be healthy and well rested than struggled to study if his body and mind are not up to it.

I was more hands on and gave more guidance when Jason was in primary school but I gave him more independence when he started his secondary schooling.

I was pleased when he handed me a revision schedule last night and asked me to help put it into the PC and print it out for him. Well, my efforts in teaching him to do a revision schedule has paid off.

Many a times, I re-assure him that no matter what results he gets, as long as he tries his best and gives his best shot, we are happy and supportive of his actions. We will then move on and look at the options available for his next stage of education; eg JC or Polytechnic.

I know it is tough to let go at times and the tendency to nag at them when you see them not studying enough from your perspectives.

Lay the foundation well when they are young and they should be able to manage it on their own.

Happy Parenting.....

David

No comments: