Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The Birds & The Bees

Hi,

So how many of you are comfortable to talk about the birds and the bees?

Or to be blunt, talk about SEX with your kids!

Because of the recent highlight on sexuality workshop being conducted in school and some parents were concerned about the mention of homosexuality or lesbian aspects of it even though this part was just a few minutes of the workshop.


I am referring to the Comprehensive Sexuality Education (CSE) programme that have been conducted in some school upon request as this was developed by the AWARE and supported by MOE.

Since the coaches were specially chosen and trained and MOE has approved or endorsed it, I would think that it is safe to be conducted in the schools. As it is a very sensitive subject, it is impossible to please all the parents and satisfy their concerns.

I like to ask the parents this, do you think you have sufficient knowledge to do it yourself?

Or rather do you have the time and communicate well with your kids, in the first place?

If yes, then good for you and you should not then be worry as you have already cultivated your set of values and your kids should be able to then decide for themselves.

In today digital era, your kids can easily find what they want on sexuality on the Internet so do you want them to interpret themselves without proper guidance from you or the school or CSE?

In fact, they are most likely to discuss it among their friends.

So in short, both parents and school + CSE programmes are important to guide the kids.

In my days, my parents did not guide me and neither did my school so I have to learn the hard way and from my Biology lessons.

I understand that Jason was taught about sexuality in Primary 6 and Secondary 1 these days. I came across it and we talked about it a bit.

I am not sure if I have been open enough or cover sufficient details but I must also admit that it is not easy to talk about it though we are very open. So I hope my discussion + what the schools have covered on this topic is adequate and he would ask if he wants more details.

On one hand, some parents like to pass the buck to the school and teachers. But on the other hand, they may not be happy if they heard that topic like homosexuality was mentioned as they are against it.

I feel that at the end of the day, the parents are still responsible for their kids so this is one of our responsibilities too; to talk about sex with out kids.

Hopefully, we have instill sufficient values in them and they will know what to decide or do when confronted with difficult or uneasy situations.

Because of this recent issue reported in the press, I just made an appointment with my son to have another talk on sex after his mid-year exam.

So parents, do your job and not pass the buck......

David

No comments: